Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fiestaaaaas

Since a lot has happened this week, I'm going to break this into three main events:

El quince de septiembre (September 15th)

This is the Mexican Independence Day, and this year was the year before the bicentennial so it was extra-big and extra-important, even though it's the year BEFORE the bicentennial. This I find strange in general but in the context of everything I've learned about Mexico it makes complete sense. For example, if a one-day holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday the holiday is semi-officially "bridged" to include the Monday or Friday as well. As a note, since the actual day we had off from school was Wednesday (the 16th) there were very few students in classes all week long, due to the unofficial bridging on either side of the holiday.

Anyway, my quince was pretty tranquil. I actually went to the church of my host family (they're protestants- practically the only ones in Puebla) which was having a party that included games (super boring and dorky, but I was told by several people that usually they're really good; someone new was in charge), a potluck supper (words cannot describe the amazingness that is Mexican potluck), and performances by talented (and a few less talented) members of the church of traditional dances and songs.


Me with a group of young performers in the traditional dress of Chiapas.


After this I went to the house of my friend Cesar with Misa, Roy, Rebeca, and Jonatan (the posse) where Cesar's family was having a party with a mariachi band, more food, and various games (these were considerably more fun) in the style of scattergories and pictionary. I had a nice time but left relatively early (that is, around 2 AM ---> even the young children were still up partying) because I had developed a cold and needed to sleep. Another cultural lesson: nothing causes more people to fuss over you constantly than a nagging cough. I've learned to keep cough drops with me at all times just to keep from being attacked by concerned friends/mothers/aunts/children/pets.



la fiesta de bienvenidos

On Friday night was the big Welcome party the exchange program throws every semester. It's a semi-formal event where all of the students come dressed in traditional costume from various regions of Mexico. There is then socializing, wining, dining, and a performance by the "danza folklorica" troupe which also lends us the dresses and gives us dance classes throughout the semester. Then they break out the DJ and the rest of the night is spent dancing and drinking to a mixture of traditional tunes, modern melodies, and of course the Village People, an omnipresent force in Mexican music. I don't understand this phenomenon, but I'm certainly not complaining!


My dress, in the style of Jalisco, which literally weighs about 15 pounds because the skirt is so full.




After changing back into street clothes and on the dance floor with Rebeca and Misa.



Slowly but surely I'm learning how to dance and have found an excellent partner/teacher in the person of Misa. So far I can manage cumbia-esque songs and banda music. We attempted a duranguense number the other night (oh wait! This goes in the next section!) which needs some work; I don't think my hips/knees are physically capable of doing that. Salsa is next on the list, but I would honestly be happy just dancing to banda music for the rest of my life. I've written and erased about ten different descriptions of the steps and have decided that I'll just have to post a video.


la fiesta en la casa de Roy

And finally the parents of Roy (my host sister's novio) had a party yesterday at their ranch in Atlixco. A party which involved both the midday meal and supper (which occurred at about 10 PM). It was pretty low-key, with plenty of socializing, playing fetch with their two gigantic golden retrievers, music, dancing, relaxing, etc.


Misa relaxing before the majority of the guests arrived.



Me with Boris, one of the Goldens.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fuuuun! Great pics; you look radiant as usual! Is that actually your dress, or did you rent/borrow it? You'll have to teach me to dance when you come back!

    Love you!

    PS- my mom sends you her love :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun doesn't begin to describe it! Sadly I borrowed the dress, but I may just have to buy one so I can play dress-up occasionally! :P

    We will most definitely dance, but I can assure you that I will never be able to replicate the atmosphere. YOU MUST COME HERE

    We will after we graduate, no?

    And please tell your mom that I love her more than I love life itself and that she needs to facebook friend me

    ReplyDelete