Friday, September 4, 2009

zombies? Por supuesto!

This week has pretty much been a "normal" one, with classes, food, and family. I have now officially tried empanadas, pelonas, guava, popcorn with chile sauce (I may never go back to butter), sangria, and torta de tamal with mole. All amazing.

My host sister's "amigo" officially became her "novio" earlier this week. I'm really happy for her, he's a really nice guy and she seems really REALLY happy. They went out to a fancy dinner and he asked her to officially become his girlfriend. I think I like this system; it's way more straightforward than the awkward "are we dating or are we friends or are we friends who go on dates?" thing that we do in the U.S.

That same night I hung out with some friends (actually friends of Roy who have become my friends) and we watched a horror film called "Rec" that's set in Barcelona (or maybe Madrid?) and is about zombies. It was brilliant; I highly recommend it. Blood, suspense, cute firefighters, Catholic dogma, violence, creepy children, emaciated monsters, government conspiracy, and Spanish all rolled into two hours. Yesssss.

Roy and his friends are all soon-to-be-doctors, and are studying for the culminating exam of their general medical training. (Which is why they were taking a movie study-break.) Apparently if they pass the exam, they can then go on to specialize. Because of the way the university system works here, a person becomes a doctor at a much younger age. The result of this is that when someone has a zombie-related heart attack, there will be help immediately available.



Classes:

I have finalized my class schedule, and will be taking History of the Mexican Revolution, Danza Folklorica, Methods of Biological Field Research, and Anthropology of Rural Societies. I like all my classes, but I really like the dance class. I'm so excited about the prospect of dancing in a big skirt and heels!!! ...Oh yeah, and learning stuff about other cultures and stuff...

5 comments:

  1. we must also watch zombie movies when you get back! :^D I can't wait until the holidays...

    Saw this and thought of you instantly
    http://www.kevinvanaelst.com/photo10.html

    this guy is amazing!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!

    science + dessert = true love and happiness

    b-t-dubs, the biology department t-shirt was similarly themed, but said "Stop staring at my cleavage" underneath the intentionally suggestive placement of cells undergoing cytokinesis. I'm too embarrassed to wear it.

    And yes, there will be zombie movies, and I damn well better get to make a gingerbread house! If not at your place, then at mine.

    Oh yeah you sold that t-shirt for me, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave me that shirt to sell at my garage sale, but I never sold it... and wear it all the time, lol... if you ever decide you want it back you know who to call, haha

    we should make zombie gingerbread men and a zombie gingerbread village, and then do a stop-motion video of our gingerzombies laying waste to aforementioned Gingertown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I approve heartily of everything you just said... Except for the prospect of me ever getting that shirt back.

    "The children were nestled all snug in their beds,/ as visions of Gingertown danced in their heads./ The zombies they rampaged and killed all in sight,/ The horror, the blood, the sugar, the fright!"

    ReplyDelete