Monday, August 31, 2009

torta de tamal

Generally I am finding that I appreciate the music here, but I discovered this weekend that if you are ever somewhere with banda music you should either have an escape plan or a very strong drink (make that SEVERAL very strong drinks). There is such thing as enjoyable banda music, but you won't know what you've got until the accordion gets warmed up.


Latest food find: torta de tamal. It's pretty much a tamal stuffed into a bun, but what it lacks in elegance it makes up for in deliciousness. They come in several different types, including sweet (which are hot pink; further investigation required), mole, frijole, and various others. Mine involved chicken and something tomato-looking, but a friend ordered for me, so I missed the name. There was also a beverage consisting of warm milk, rice, and a big chunk of cinnamon stick. I would like to point out that this occurred during a short break from bio class, because our professor was using the pigeons that eat the crumbs left when the torta de tamal vendor pulls out some of the bread to make room for the tamal as an example of a study population. I love Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment