Thursday, September 10, 2009

Gooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yesterday evening was a key futbol game between Mexico and Honduras, and I went with a bunch of friends (all people I have met through my host sister, either directly or indirectly) to a bar/grill and we watched the game! Luckily for anyone interested in crowd control Mexico won 1-0. The party continued long after the game was over, so this definitely fell into the category of homework for my favorite class, "Socializing in Spanish 302." It was really pretty epic to be part of the energy involved in this sort of event, and really great to be with such a fun group!



From left to right, Roy, Rebeca, and Jonatan; Roy and Rebeca (my host sister) are novios, and Jonny went to med school with Roy (his interests include staring contests, chelas, and bad English pick-up lines... oh and performing surgeries).



Me and Misael, the dynamic duo! It should also be noted that these photos are deceptive; they make it seem as though we were a small group, but our table was at least a dozen.



This morning came abruptly with biology class at 8:30 AM, but I survived the day gracefully, if a little sleepily (man, that Socializing class is hard work!). The day involved another food adventure, a dance class, and shoe shopping, so it pretty much is required to qualify as at LEAST an 8.0 or 8.5.

Gorditas (contrary to what Taco Bell would have you believe) are oblong puffy tortillas with a layer of frijoles inside, fried, laid flat, and topped with salsa, cheese, and pretty much any type of meat/topping you want. I ordered mine with "picadillo," a spicy ground beef mixture. It was also "bandera" style, which means that it is given the appearance of the Mexican flag by using both red and green salsa, with white cheese. I suppose there's no wrong way to eat a gordita, but the most popular (and practical) method is to fold it in half lengthwise and chow down!

The gorditas were, fashionably, accompanied by the omnipresent fruity sodas (orange, apply, mango, or tamarind) and followed with a block of peanut brittle and pig-shaped cookies which were reminiscent of over-baked sugar cookies, which sounds bad but was delicious.


So apart from parties and food, I have some news. If everyone could please become serious and furrow his or her brow...
I am now the proud owner of a brand new pair of Converse low-top Chuck Taylors. Yes, this does mean what you think: I will be disposing of the, erm, over-ripe pair that I've been wearing until now. RIP deja-shoes.


This blog post in loving memory of mis zapatos viejos.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I think that those shoes have enjoyed a rather long working life... time for retirement I would certainly say!!! What color are your new shooz?

    Gorditas sound yummy!!! While you're there try the tamarind soda for me... describe the intricacies of its flavors puh-leeze! I'm super curious!

    Socializing in Spanish sounds fun, haha... They should rename it Partying in Spanish :^P

    Sounds like a good time!!! Miss you! See ya soon :^) xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoes= black

    tamarind soda= indescribable; that is, it tastes like tamarind, which tastes like tamarind

    I miss you so much!!!! I can't wait to see you for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete