Sunday, October 11, 2009

La influenza

So guess who's being quarantined in her room for 5 days? Actually I plan to break out on Monday because I've been fever-free for almost 24 hours already, and with another day I can be certain of my lack of contagiousness.

On Thursday evening I felt really crappy, and on Friday morning I couldn't move. With classic flu symptoms and everybody VERY cautious, they took me, somewhat against my will though I felt too ill to argue, to the hospital. Everybody got really jumpy about the combination headache, body aches, fever thing (I wasn't concerned about 40 degrees, but I googled it later and it turns out that's 104!!); they did a rapid flu test which was negative (everyone tells me they're useless, though) and sent a culture to Mexico City. I should find out whether I had swine flu or not in about a week. They wrote me a prescription for Tamiflu and tylenol, gave me a cute little mask, and told me not to leave my room for 5 days.

Oh yeah, turns out that even with a prescription, influential doctor friends, and an ATM card, Tamiflu cannot be purchased in Puebla because there simply isn't any. Fine for me, since I'm all better, but bad for anyone who really needs it.

Saturday dawned, me with no fever and plenty of energy; I have been climbing the walls ever since. As my mother always assured me, as long as I was once again hungry and bored, I must be on the mend!

1 comment: