Thursday, January 14, 2010

Subaruuuu

Big news: I saw my first Subaru in Mexico today. I had long ago come to the conclusion that this, my pet car manufacturer, was completely absent in this city dominated by Volkswagens of all shapes and sizes (but, you know, being VW they're mostly small, and being Mexico, they're mostly very old).

In other news, the cold abated slightly today, which was a nice surprise. After a morning full of classes I came home to a house full of about 15 family members and friends. Long live spontaneous Mexican get-togethers! After that I went with my friend from the university, Hugo, to wander around the Centro. We wound up deciding to check out the schedule of free public movie showings at the Casa de Cultura, and as it turned out we arrived just as a movie was starting. We entered (acting as though this fortuitous alignment of our schedules was completely pre-meditated) and spent the next two hours watching "Lost Highway," a psychological thriller which we both decided made absolutely no sense to either of us. We then went for a hot chocolate at my favorite cafe, and talked about movies (definitely our favorite discussion topic) until the place closed. Productive evening? Yesss.

So classes so far are good. I'm both worried and excited, because I seem to have managed a set of classes that are all intense but super interesting (note: this is in stark contrast with my classes last semester). We shall see. I have decided to definitely take Etnomusicologia, Etnografia de Mexico, and Pensamiento Social de America Latina. My fourth class is still up in the air, but there's a biology course in Agroecologia that sounds cool. The only set-back is that it still has not been scheduled yet. It appears in the course catalog as being 7 days a week from 11 to midnight. Luckily, one of my friends is officially enrolled in the course and will find out soon what the actual schedule is.

So life here continues at its usual relaxed pace, which suits me just fine!

1 comment:

  1. interesting that vws are so popular... kevin's car would fit right in, haha. I went and saw a movie too! we have to watch it when you get back. good luck in your classes!

    ReplyDelete