Monday, February 8, 2010

Lo bonito, lo esencial

There are four things in my room that were not there before. I am very fond of each of them.


1. The first addition to my room is this guitar, shown here in its natural state. It is on loan from my exchange program, which is also providing me with lessons. I am quickly becoming obsessed with it; I now understand my father's love of the guitar, and can only hope that I have inherited his talent. I have definitely inherited his affinity for bluesy folk music. But despite any visions of grandeur, so far I'm still finding my way around the fingerboard and struggling to hear the difference between a string which is in tune and one which is not.




2. The second addition to my room is this drawing, sent to me from the USA, along with some much-needed supplies (i.e. chocolate and other valuables). Turns out that packages CAN indeed arrive here from across the border, safe and sound, albeit thoroughly inspected for any signs of value/ease of theft. The catch, however, is that the customs fees cost far more than the market value of what is contained in the package. Sentimental value, however, wins in the end, and I am very thankful to my dear friends back home! Los quiero mucho!





3. The third addition to my room is a print of this photo, which shows myself and Hugo (remember him from Acapulco?) at the program welcome party on Friday night. It was a very nice evening of socializing, eating, and DANCING. Hugo is an excellent dancer and a very patient teacher, and I can now say that I have a pretty good handle on cumbia, salsa, and a variety of banda styles. I am sure that I will go through dancing withdrawal once back home.




4. The final addition to my room is this Gerber daisy. Do you remember when I said that traditionally in Mexico if a man wants to date a woman there is a specific process involved, which usually includes flowers? If not, you can review it here, item #6. As with all things, to understand one needs only be told, but to comprehend one must experience. Let's just say that up until Friday night I merely understood this specific process of courtship, of which this flower is part. ¿Comprendes?

4 comments:

  1. EEEEEE!!!! You guys look cute together :^)

    Glad you're learning some guitar, that sounds fun. heh... sounds fun.

    ok ok, that was an easy pun, leave me alone!!!

    Keep having fuuuuuuun ^_^

    miss you :^D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yessssssssssssssss ;)this post makes me so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always were the hott one...
    I guess it is now confirmed that it is a global phenomenon.

    Also, teach me guitar? And/or buy me one of those cute little guitars...awww que tuany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand and am SO happy for youuuuu!
    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete