Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Photo montage!!

So in the interest of laziness and how I have homework to do tonight (I know, yuck!), I present to you fine folks a photo montage of last weekend.


On Friday we went to Cuernavaca, where we went first to the Palacio de Cortes museum, which does not merit a photo (read: sucked), and then to the house/museum of the late Robert Brady, an Iowa-born art collector who made his home in Mexico and then filled it with a ton of art from around the world. He also made sure to place his carefully hoarded pretties in arrangements which highlighted cool aspects of them. This, for example, is on the left: Josephine Baker, an entertainer from the 1930's who never gave birth to any children, but who adopted 12. On the right: an African goddess of fertility. You can't say he didn't have impeccable taste.




On Saturday we went to Taxco, a relatively nearby town. There is nothing to do there aside from buy silver jewelry (which apparently no longer even comes from Taxco, all the mines have been exhausted and they now have to import it). BUT thanks to my amazing friends Jackie and Erika, we managed to find something way better to do, we climbed all the way up to the Jesus statue which overlooks the town. It was basically a case study in different types of men: the nice old men who invite you in for conversation, the unpleasant men (young and old) who catcall you incessantly, boys like Edgar who give you directions and take your picture, and carpenters who died thousands of years ago but still get their statues put on hills.




That night Jackie and Erika and I decided that we deserved an awesome dinner, and we were not going to settle for anything less than extraordinary. How do you say "extraordinary" in Spanish? Italian Food. There was bread and oil, various pasta creations, a slice of chocolate-almond cake, and this bottle of wine. For all of that we spent less than $50 US and had a kick-ass time. Mexico I love thee. (plus it was really nice to NOT eat another Mexican dish for a change)



On Sunday we went to Tepoztlan, a very small town with a very big hill. Sitting like a small and insignificant bump on this hill/mountain is an ancient pyramid, which was ostensibly what we wanted to see. You will note that it did not merit a photo, but these cute little guys, called coatis, did. There are bunches of them at the summit, and if you are not careful they will steal any food you might have with you. Also, if you are not careful they will charm you so thoroughly with their adorableness that you will go temporarily insane, kidnap one, carry it down the mountain and back to your hotel room, feed it Valentine's candy, and be arrested by the Mexican police for poaching. So watch out!

8 comments:

  1. Coatl yay! Wine yay! Jesus is okay, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now! He was one of the cooler guys in that town, you have to admit. Him and Padre Kino...

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3!!! love your photos; glad you're having fun :^) Good call with the italian food,although I am a fan of what I know as mexican food... the coatis are adorable. thanks for the warning, because if I had been there, that's exactly what I would have done, too, hahaha. you're awesome and I miss you lots, fyi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie, I love you so much! I love that you always comment, it makes me feel super-awesome. And btw Garcia's is pretty darn authentic. And after 7 months, even the best food gets a little tiresome. Puebla is not exactly known for its ethnic diversity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake...yum...here they call cake queque, I find that to be intriguing and strange.
    Also, this morning I had beans for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ZOMG I had beans for breakfast too!!! We are cosmically linked by frijoles around the world!

    And in related news I will be buying my plane tickets to come see you in like half an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So according to Wikipedia, Coatis are also known as "Snookum bears." Amazing? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha, loooove!!!! I will visit y'all via astral projection pretty soon :^)

    ReplyDelete